Frequently asked questions
If you need support, read our FAQ for the answers to your questions
ESPRESSO FAMILY MACHINES
The PID temperature control regulates the boiler temperature. The temperature is maintained at the programmed value with minimum variations of 1°C. PID means “proportional – integral – derived”. Temperature plays an important role in coffee preparation
Empty the boiler (s). In the case of a heat exchanger system, empty the boiler by extracting hot water.
The double boiler machine is emptied through the dispensing group and the extraction of hot water. We recommend cleaning the extraction unit and descaling.
For models manufactured after 2015, there is a drain valve in each boiler. In this case the machine must be turned off and cold to avoid burns.
The machines are pre-set in the factory at a pressure of 9-9,5 bar.
This is done by turning the tap behind the lower tray and attaching the hose to the water supply inlet. See the video of an ALEX DUETTO installation on the website section Family Espresso Machines
The machine temperature can be adjusted only for models with PID control. Please note that our machines are pre-set at the factory at an optimum temperature of 124°C (255°F) and 128°C (262°F) for ALEX LEVA and VALEXIA LEVA.
There is insufficient water. The float in the machine is not in the correct position. (For the correct position of the float refer to the instruction manual or the installation tutorial).
Please refer to the instruction manual.
Use filtered water and a clean portafilter without any coffee dregs. Grind fresh coffee. Start the extraction processs immediately after inserting the portafilter in the group.
- Pre-heat the cups on the cupwarmer tray. Leave the portafilter in the machine during the hearing phase.
- Fill the portafilter with freshly-ground coffee. Press the coffee with tamper supplied with the machine. Make sure the coffee is firmly pressed inside the portafilter.
- Let a little water flow throuhg the brew group. Insert the portafilter, place the cup underneath and prepare the espresso.
The right degree of milling is a prerequisite of a good espresso. The coffe should be slightly coarser than flour. You can tell if the milling is right if the coffe forms fine clumps. Also, if the espresso flows too quicklyfrom the portafilter the the milling is too coarse. If the coffee flows too slowly or does not flow at all, then the degree of milling is too fine.
- The brew groupis not hot enough yet
- La machine needs descaling;
- The portafilter was not in place during the machine heating phase.
- Adjust the degree of coffee milling;
- Press the coffee harder in the portafilter;
- The coffee is too old.
We reccomend this to be carried out by an authorized retailer. For the nearest retailer please use our contact form.
This is recommended according to water harndess and how often the machine is used. Descale the machine every 20 days
- The blind filter is used to adjust the rotary pump and the expansion valve
- The blind filter is needed to clean the brew group
When the portafilter does not fit in the group as usual and when water flows over the portfilter
Only from our authorized dealers. We can inform you of the nearest one to you. Use our contact form.